Research Backed Approaches to Leadership and Team Dynamics by Dr. Will Ramey, The Leadership Dr.
My Well-Being Eye Opener
I was brought up in the Army where leaders eat last. Leaders ensure their team has everything they need to be successful. My team’s well-being had to be a priority. Our LIVES depended on it in a combat zone. When convoying from Kuwait to Iraq, I ensured my team had rest cycles, they were fed, vehicles were maintained, and all were taken care of. When I finally got to our operating base, I had was smoked! What I realized is that I needed to put my team’s well-being as a top priority AND I needed to find a way to maintain my own well-being at the same time. If’ I couldn’t find this balance, something tragic might happen. I learned to build routines to balance my mind, body, and spirit so that I could show up as the best leader for my team. Too often you trade your well-being for the good of the team.
Leaders must be able to lead themselves before taking on leading others. This includes ensuring your own well-being is in tip-top shape. Research indicates that leaders are experiencing more and more challenges to their own well-being. The pace of business, hyper-competitiveness, 24-7 access in the digital world are all stressors of the modern workplace. You can easily lose your way by prioritizing the demands of your business or your team over your personal well-being. You’re taught to put your team first, be a servant leader but, if you don’t have tactics in place to take care of yourself, you won’t be at your best for your team.
Darin Olien’s Wisdom: Superlife, Super Leadership
I’ve read Darin Olien’s book “Superlife” through twice and have pages earmarked as references. This book offers practical tactics to improve multiple aspects of your well-being. The emphasis is on the significance of nutrition, hydration, sleep, exercise, and mindfulness. Let’s delve into how these principles can elevate our leadership.
Well-Being as a Leadership Asset:
- Nutrition for Clarity: Proper nutrition fuels your cognitive abilities and decision-making. By nourishing your body with the right foods, you enhance mental clarity and focus, critical for effective leadership.
- Hydration for Energy: Staying adequately hydrated is essential for sustained energy levels. When you stay hydrated you are better equipped to handle the demands of your role.
- Quality Sleep for Resilience: Adequate and restorative sleep is a cornerstone of your well-being. When you get enough restful sleep you are capable of being more resilient, emotionally stable, and of handling stress.
- Exercise for Vitality: Regular physical activity not only boosts your physical health but also enhances your mental well-being. It fosters creativity and resilience, key attributes of successful leaders.
- Mindfulness for Presence: Mindfulness practices, such as meditation, improve your self-awareness and emotional regulation. Leaders who practice mindfulness are better equipped to navigate challenging situations with composure.
For more on Mindfulness – How Mindfulness Helps You Lead | Dr. Will Ramey
Strategies for Cultivating Well-Being as a Leader:
- Prioritize Self-Care: Make self-care a non-negotiable part of your routine. Schedule time for exercise, healthy meals, and relaxation.
- Set Boundaries: Establish clear boundaries between work and personal life to prevent burnout and promote well-being.
- Encourage Well-Being in Your Team: Create a workplace culture that values well-being by offering resources, flexibility, and support for your team’s physical and mental health.
- Practice Mindfulness: Incorporate mindfulness practices into your daily routine to enhance self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Continuous Learning: Stay informed about the latest research and best practices in well-being to make informed choices for yourself and your team.
Benefits of Prioritizing Well-Being as a Leader:
- Enhanced Decision-Making: Well-being practices sharpen cognitive abilities, leading to better decision-making and problem-solving.
- Improved Resilience: Leaders who prioritize well-being are more resilient and better equipped to handle challenges and setbacks.
- Positive Team Culture: A leader’s commitment to well-being sets the tone for the entire team, fostering a positive and productive work environment.
- Increased Productivity: Well-being practices boost energy levels and productivity, ultimately leading to more efficient leadership.
Thriving in Leadership Through Well-Being
Darin Olien’s “Superlife” offers valuable insights into elevating well-being for effective leadership. By embracing principles such as nutrition, hydration, sleep, exercise, and mindfulness, we can transform ourselves into more vibrant, resilient, and impactful leaders.
Let’s embark on a well-being journey in leadership. As we prioritize self-care, set boundaries, and encourage well-being in our teams, we’ll witness the transformation of our leadership style. Together, we’ll shape a future where well-being is not just a personal choice but a leadership asset, contributing to our success, fulfillment, and the well-being of those we lead.
Let’s Work Together:
Do you want to strengthen your self-awareness, self-assuredness, and leadership presence? Let’s talk! I coach leaders so that you can achieve your professional and personal goals. Connect with me on LinkedIn Dr. William Ramey | LinkedIn
Are you a business owner or employee that is interested in strengthening your team effectiveness? I provide curated team development workshops using creative approaches to increase learning retention. Reach out at email@example.com or checkout my website: Will Ramey Leadership & Team Dynamic Workshop
Check out my TEDxTalk about how shared leadership saved my life: Dr. Will Ramey Delivers TEDx Talk on Shared Leadership
Scale your content 10X Faster with Jasper, your AI writing assistant! Try Jasper for FREE – Click Here!
Check out my OnTheStacks Podcast episode here:
If you find value and enjoy our content, smash that YouTube Subscribe button here: OnTheStacks YouTube Channel
Want to see more OnTheStacks Content?
Follow us everywhere on social media: